What is a Bishops Pastoral Letter?
A pastoral letter, or a pastoral, is an open letter addressed by a bishop to the clergy and/or laity of his diocese. It teaches, offers reflection & may contain instruction, consolation, or directions for behaviour in particular circumstances. In the Catholic Church such letters are also sent out regularly at particular liturgical seasons, particularly at the beginning of Lent and Advent.
Pastorals by Bishop Donal Murray (1997 - 2009)
- Lent 2009 United in Hope
- Lent 2008 New Life Within Us
- April 2007 Never Alone
- March 2006 Keep Your Lamps Lit
- August 2005 Celebrating the Eucharist
- March 2005 Thirsting for God
- Sept 2004 To Live as Gods People: Reflections on the Pope's Visit
- Lent 2004: To Rekindle the Amazement
- Lent 2003: The Face of Christ
- Advent 2002: Light Shines in Darkness
- June 2002 How can we know the way?
- Lent 2002: We are God's Temple
- June 2001: Visit of the relics of St Thérése
- Lent 2001: Put out into the Deep Water
- Lent 2000: Christ be our Light
- Lent 1999: Companions on our Journey
- Advent 1998: To the House of the Father
- Lent 1998: Filled with Joy by the Holy Spirit
- Lent 1997: Jesus Christ Yesterday, Today & Forever